Pediatric ServicesWe provide complete pediatric medical care for infants, children and adolescents. Services include:
- Prenatal consultations at no charge
- Full newborn nursery care for sick or well newborns
- Complete well child care, including all necessary immunizations
- Outpatient and inpatient care of ill children
- Consultations for school or behavioral problems
- School, sports, and camp physicals
- Adolescent medicine including acne treatment
Well Child CareOur goal is to assist you in raising healthy, happy, productive children. As children progress through infancy, childhood and adolescence into adulthood, they undergo enormous changes. Assessing their physical, behavioral, developmental and emotional progress all along the journey is extremely important. During well visits, we discuss all these aspects of your child's life.
In most cases, well visits result in assurance that your child is progressing normally. In a minority of instances, we detect a developmental delay or disability. This leads to early treatment, lessening the future impact on the child and the child's family. In rare cases, we identify serious or potentially serious problem during a well visit.
Though certainly not good news, early diagnosis provides the best possible assurance of successful treatment of the problem.
During well visits we:
Well child visits begin at two weeks of age and typically occur at 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 24, 30, and 36 months of age. Thereafter we see each child on a yearly basis. Remember the beginning of school is not an indication that well visits should be discontinued. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a well child visit every year following a child's pre-kindergarten visit. The physicians at Pediatric Associates of Lancaster heartily endorse the Academy's recommendations.
- Conduct a thorough physical examination
- Assess your child's height and weight to make sure growth is appropriate
- Measure blood pressure and perform hearing and vision evaluations
- Provide needed immunizations and conduct any indicated laboratory tests
- Perform a thorough developmental assessment and review school progress as appropriate
- Provide anticipatory guidance in such areas as encouraging learning, injury prevention, parenting techniques, approaches to discipline and other topics of importance to parents
You should schedule well child visits at least one month ahead of time.